LI: Identify and sort sentences according to tense; choose the appropriate verb form
Revise verbs and tense using Powerpoint including: simple past & present, progressive and perfect forms.
Watch the short clip from HP3 film, where Harry catches the Knight Bus. This is what happens next, after Harry walks out of Privet Drive, having inflated Aunt Marge. Harry is convinced that he is in serious trouble and imagines Stan recounting to future passengers about the time they had the infamous Harry Potter on board.
Use the resources which require you to identify, to insert and to write verbs in different forms (simple, progressive, perfect).
The resources have activities which are divided into sections A, B & C, which increase in difficulty. You can work through one or more sections.
Verbs & Tense A
Sort these sentences into Simple, Progressive and Perfect Past Verb Forms
- Harry shivered and looked up and down Magnolia Crescent.
- He was wondering what to do, now that he was feeling calmer.
- He had broken the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry.
- There was a little wizard gold at the bottom of his trunk.
- Harry had left it there at the end of term.
- He was looking down at his wand which he was clutching in his hand.
- His friends were spending the holidays in their own homes.
- Harry sensed something strange.
- Something big was watching him from the darkness.
- Harry had found himself in a dangerous situation.
Challenge: Choose a sentence written in the simple past form of the verb and rewrite it in progressive form and then again in perfect form.
Verbs & Tense C
Answer the questions about the Knight Bus Clip using the specified verb forms.
- Where was Harry sitting when the streetlights began to flicker? (Progressive)
- What did he see by the bench? (Simple)
- How did Stan remember what to say when he first saw Harry? (Progressive)
- What caused the bus to break hard? (Simple)
- Why was Sirius Black on the front cover of the newspaper? (Perfect)
- Why didn’t the Knight Bus crash into the two double decker buses? (Perfect)
- What two things happened as the bus arrived at its destination? (Simple)
- How did Harry know that he had arrived at the Leaky Cauldron? (Perfect)